Saturday, July 18, 2009

Financial Peace

Well, what can I say about financial peace? We've never had it, I can say that. I look back at my childhood and see how blessed I was then. Money was never something I had to worry about. It wasn't until I meant my husband (he was living in an apartment in Norman) that I knew you even had to pay for water and electricity. I learned that quickly when he had the cut-off notice on his apartment door! Also, I just assumed everyone had a Texaco card like me........(that my parents paid the bill for! )

Anyways, we got married at very young ages. I was 19 and my husband was barely 21. We instantly went out and got in as much debt as possible. The American Dream, right? What 19 and 21 year old shouldn't have an $84,000 mortgage and two new cars? We both had paid-for cars when we got married, but were so excited when the car dealership GAVE us a loan for a pathfinder...along with 14% interest. Weren't they sooo nice? Oh, and because they apparently had to justify the HUGE profit they were making on us, they "threw in" a warranty. Later on my husband went to work for a car dealership - we learned nobody ever just "throws in" a warranty!!!

Anyways, we have been married now 16-1/2 years and I wish I could say that we learned from those early mistakes and moved on. However, that is not the case. We have been the absolute worst money managers alive. No matter if we made a lot, or very little, it has never been enough! Now, after reading Dave Ramsey's books and going through his Financial Peace University, we are finally attempting to turn the financial tide!

A budget seems to be the most crucial key to success. Oh, wait, INCOME is probably the #1 key....then the budget. We are finally making one at the beginning of every month. This is tricky, though, because my husband is self-employed and we never know how much he will make.

We finally got our $1000 emergency fund together, too. However, satan knows our weaknesses and has caused our air conditioner to go out TWICE in the last month!!! TWICE!!! For a total of $1,100! And, because that wasn't quite enough, he also killed the fuel pump on my 2005 suburban. (this following my transmission going out a few months ago.....what? not a good ad for chevrolets, huh?) So, chalk up another $600 or so. So, our $1000 emergency fund is now LONG gone. However, as Dave Ramsey would say, "at least you had it.....that's what the emergency fund is for." Now, I am cleaning out closets and attics to have a much-hated garage sale to try and build our fund all over again. And, even though I am blogging about this, I am trying very hard not to have a bad attitude about it. I will not give satan the pleasure. (I'm also fervently praying nothing else breaks.....)

So, we have learned a lot. We no longer have any credit cards. If we don't have the cash, we don't buy it. We have a budget...... a very tight budget. We are working on the income. We are working on the emergency fund. Hopefully, God-willing, this will turn out some financial peace for us afterall.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately those financial lessons are something I had to learn more than once in my life. I think I've finally got it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very insightful post.

    I'm finally beginning to catch up on my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete