My brother and I went to a funeral a couple of weeks ago for my great uncle. It was a "nice" funeral and we actually decided we liked some of the things they did. Like putting an embroidered bass (fish) jumping out of water on the inside of the coffin lid. You might laugh, but I kind've thought that was a nice, HONEST touch. He loved fishing. Why not put that on there for him to stare at for all of eternity?
So that got me thinkin'- what would my husband put on the inside of my coffin lid? A picture of my kids? Something to do with bootcamp.....what dumbbells embroidered? Maybe a picture of Blue Bell Pralines N Cream ice cream or a box of sweetarts? Cuz these are all of the things I love........... well, hopefully not.
I think I'd like a Bible verse embroidered on the inside of my coffin lid. Not that i will be looking at it. But for all of the people at my funeral to see. I even know what verse: Matthew 5:16 "Let your light shine before others that they may see your good works and glorify your FATHER in heaven." Hopefully all of the people at my funeral will read that verse and agree that they could see Christ in my life. It was evident.....by my words and actions.
I also want upbeat, happy music. This should be a celebration if we really, truly believe we are going to spend ETERNITY with OUR LORD AND SAVIOR!!! My husband can play one tear-jerker - "I can only imagine" and the rest need to be songs like, "Strong Tower", "Revelation", "Born Again", etc. Oh, maybe two tear-jerkers cuz I love David Crowder's "Never let Go".
Anyways, then I want the Gospel told. If there is anyone at my funeral that doesn't know Christ as their personal Savior, I want them to accept HIM right then and there. Wouldn't that be awesome?
So, I'm not planning on dying soon or anything. I just want to make sure that when I do, my funeral is not some morbid, depressing affair. I want everyone there to know that I am with My Jesus.
Oh, and one last thing. Do it as cheaply as possible. We just finished Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. I do not want my funeral to cause any debt!!!
Expectations for 2012
14 years ago
both of our last posts had to do with death.... what's up with that?
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad to hear you aren't dying. I was starting to wonder. :) I actually think it is a good idea to have your wishes made known though and I like the idea of having the gospel preached.
ReplyDelete