Friday, April 10, 2009

Oklahoma on Fire

Well, yesterday our state was on fire. Literally. I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life and I have never seen it so windy......and I've seen LOTS of windy days. To make matters even more exciting, my four children all had outdoor sporting events - from 5 pm till about 9 pm. So, we got to have the dirt blowing in our eyes for a good four hours. I actually wondered if the wind gusts could pick up my 5 yr. old and blow her away?!

So, after finally coming home from the ballpark and getting everybody's teeth brushed, books read, showered, etc., I finally flipped on the news. I could not believe what I was seeing. Fires everywhere!!! And, unfortunately, within 5 miles of my mom's house. I called and checked on her and, sure enough, they had bags packed in case of an emergency evacuation. Luckily, they never had to evacuate and their house is still standing!

Anyways, I was just thinking of all of the catastrophes that have been occurring........tornadoes (our own neighborhood was hit in February), floods, earthquakes, fires, etc. It is quite frightening, really, when you see some of these things happen so close to home (in the case of the devastating tornadoes - about 2 blocks!).

But, then this passage from Isaiah came to mind:

Isaiah 43: 1-5

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give nations in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid, for I am with you...."

I am just so glad that I have God's Holy Word to remind me that He is ALWAYS with me. I never have to be afraid because He is right there by my side.

2 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous piece of Scipture.

    The wind itself was terribly upsetting -- disconcerting in a way. The fires made it all the moore distressing. We felt like we should stay up - somehow because of those fighting the fires and those who had lost their homes.

    But I finally got too sleepy and left the watching to Judy.

    Still an amazing blessing that there was so little injury and I think no loss of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting that scripture. Just happened to check your blog tonight and it seems that God always gives me what I need to hear.

    ReplyDelete