Okay.....well if anyone read my blog yesterday, they are probably thinking I'm quite the petty, self-centered person. But, as I said at the end of my blog, I'm done with that. It is almost a relief for my birthday to be over so I can move forward! (at least until Mother's Day and that is a whole 'nother story!)
So, probably part of the reason I was down yesterday was due to my week. One of my best friend's daughters (age 8) was diagnosed with Leukemia on Wednesday. It was shocking and life-changing news.
To let you know how close I am to my friend, she is my "go-to" buddy. She is the one I call on when I need help or vice-versa. She is the one I call when I find a really good Bible verse because I know she will appreciate it. She is the one that I will talk to for an hour about absolutely nothing and everything. Do you know what I mean?
She is also one of the most compassionate people I have ever known. She actually cried when she saw me after my nasal surgery a couple of years ago. (I did look like I had been ran over by a train.) For this reason, my heart is breaking for her. Of course, my heart is breaking for her child, but I guess I'm looking at this whole thing from a MOM'S point of view. It is absolutely the worst thing I can think about going through as a mom. Feeling helpless, while watching your child suffer.
The good news is that the drs. have given them a 96% cure rate for her kind of leukemia. That is great news because in the 80's the cure rate was 22% or something along those lines.
However, this still does not change the fact that my friend's daughter has blood cancer. And, it doesn't change the fact that she will undergo chemotherapy and many painful procedures the next year to 3 years. I just wish that I could jump in and help my friend as she goes through this. The most that I can do is pray, be there for her whenever she needs me, and pray harder.
The great news is that her and her husband know Christ as their personal Savior. They know that "He works everything to the good of those who love Him" (Rom 8:28). In fact, I feel quite sure that God will use this experience in their lives to reach a lot of people for His kingdom.
Expectations for 2012
14 years ago
You forgot to mention that the good news is that she has you to walk with through this too. How awful that this family has to go through this but I'm sure that He will find a way to comfort them and strengthen them. Being powerless is not a good feeling.
ReplyDeleteI read the comments on the caring book site. I especially enjoyed Carson's comments: so sweet and heart felt.
ReplyDeletei'm praying for them, suz, and you.
ReplyDeleteand will you forgive me for not calling you on your birthday? how lame am I? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you!