In the past few days I have had several discussions among friends and family about Prayer. Namely, how if God already has a plan and knows what is going to happen, then why, exactly, do we pray? Well, over the past year I have learned quite a lot about prayer, but I think the biggest thing I learned is that praying is being obedient to God's Word. He tells us over and over in scripture to pray - about little things, big things, specific things, and without ceasing... Also, it is the way we communicate with God. And I learned that God can communicate with us several ways: through reading His Word, through music, through discussions with other Believers, through Church, through "feelings", and even, to some, audibly and/ or visibly.
So, having said all of that, I think God communicated the last couple of days with me directly through His Word. Let me explain.
If you have read my previous two blogs, then you will know that we (a big group of us) were holding a 24 hour prayer and fast for my friend's little girl that was diagnosed with leukemia two weeks ago. Our specific prayer was that the amount of leukemia cells in her bone marrow would decrease significantly from the week before when they were at 86%.
Well, I have one of those "read the Bible in a year" bibles in my bathroom. Lately, I have been looking at the Psalms andProv. for the corresponding day while I happen to be in the bathroom. (But other than that I never read this Bible, and it is not an everyday thing, just occasionally) So, the morning of the fast (May 1st) and a few hours before getting Kennedy's results, this was the Psalm:
Ps. 102:1-28 - "Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry for help come to you. Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly. For my days vanish like smoke; my bones burn like glowing embers. My heart is blighted and withered like grass; I forget to eat my food. (and then skipping down to vs 18-22) "Let this be written for a future generation, that a people not yet created may praise the Lord: The Lord looked down from his sanctuary on high, from heaven he viewed the earth, to hear the groans of the prisoners and release those condemned to death."
So, yesterday about lunchtime, i got the awesome, incredible news that her leukemia cells were less than 5% - which means she is officially IN REMISSION!!! So, we went from 86% to less than 5% in a week. This was better news than I even dreamed of!!!
So, I'm in the bathroom again today (sorry, but that IS the setting of my story :) ) and decide to see what today's (May 2) Psalm was - ready for this?
Ps. 103:1-22 "Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all our diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. vs 8: "The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love....(11) For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him....."
So, how funny is that? The morning of the fast compared to the next morning after we had gotten the good news? Crazy!Anyways, thought yall would enjoy some more of God's "irony" - "coincidences" or as I happen to believe, His communication thru His Word to me!!!
Expectations for 2012
14 years ago
I have a friend who calls things like that a "Godsequence". I think that fits here. :)
ReplyDeleteI like that "Godsequence" idea, too.
ReplyDeleteI have thought before about why I pray for some particular thing or person or event. Either I think of it or someone else asks me. In either case I can ask why again. Why was I asked? Why did I think it?
Just think about being asked to pray for someone. Really that is amazing in itself the more I let my mind consider it. Certainly there was a long period in my life that no one would have asked me to pray for them or anyone else.
yes God IS so Good! thrilled to pieces about your friend's little girl! amazing! God showed up!! "His eyes roam throughout the earth, seeking to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him." My heart is certainly strengthened by YOUR faithfulness and committment! i love you Suz!
ReplyDelete